[OpenLayers-Users] Mathematical description of the cluster algorithm?

Samuel Leach samuel.leach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 01:26:28 PDT 2013

Hello,

This is my first post to the list - thanks for your patience.

I've being trying to find out the answer to the question, what is the (name
of) the clustering algorithm used in openlayers, and is there a
mathematical description posted somewhere?

A bit of research has turned up the source code,

https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/master/lib/OpenLayers/Strategy/Cluster.j<https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/blob/master/lib/OpenLayers/Strategy/Cluster.js>

an example of varying the distance and threshold parameters,

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster-threshold.html

and the method is discussed in Ch. 4 of OpenLayers Cookbook 2012.

However, I'm still not sure about the answer to the above question.

Could someone knowledgable chime in?

Thank you

Sam Leach