[OpenLayers-Users] Loading kmz file (extend kml icon and image path to make it valid for map server)

robertico robert_rdk at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 9 05:52:39 PST 2013

I'd like to load a KMZ file.
My current approch is to upload and unzip the kmz file.
After unzipping the kmz file I've a kml file and two folders (icon and
thumbs)
I can load the kml file but the path to the icon and thumbs is not valid.
My folder structure;

Where */www/* is the server root folder
and */uploads/* the upload folder for the kmz files
After unzipping there's a seperate folder for every kmz file (e.g */0001/*)
In the kml file the path to the icon is;  */icon/myIcon.png/* and for the
thumbnails */thumbs/myImage.jpg/*

This works fine for e.g. Google Earth but is a problem on my mapserver.
I'd like to show the icon as marker icon and the thumbnails in a popup form.

Is it possible to extend the path from the kml file (*/thumbs/myImage.jpg/*)
to *//uploads/0001/thumbs/myImage.jpg/*
(Also for the icon)

I can load a kml file with a correct path.
My only challenge is to extend the existing path from the uploaded kml file.

Thanks in advance.