[OpenLayers-Users] How to read OpenLayers Layer Definitions from file?

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Tue Mar 19 15:00:07 PDT 2013

I do this. I have my layer definitions and behaviours in an external
file, stored as json format. The application fetches the json, and then
processes it to create the map with all the layers and desired
behaviour. I have a web application for defining the layers and
behaviours desired and storing to a json file. (Warning  - a non-trivial
amount of work).  You can see a resulting map at
http://data.gns.cri.nz/pbe/ (free registration required). The menu
contents are also completely defined by a json file. If you look at the
"interactive maps", you will see from URL, that it just loads different
json files for each map. This gives me one set of code to create
multiple web mapping applications. The other advantage is that each
content and behaviour can have user groups associated with it. This way
different classes of users (eg internal versus external versus paying
clients) get to see different things from the same config. The json is
filtered by user before passing it to OL.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.