[OpenLayers-Users] Accessing user defined data from a OpenLayers application

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed May 8 22:04:24 PDT 2013

 >If so (correct me if my approach incorrect), where should I put the
data that I need to access from the OpenLayers application?.
 >Do I need to save data in a file or does the data need to be available
from a server?.

I am assuming that your application will run off a server? If so, then
no problem putting the data as xml file on that server and using http to
access it (eg, that is how you normally fetch GML).

If you are working "server-less" then its a whole different ball game.
For starters you will need to use a script protocol to get around
browser security restrictions on local files. To make your life easier,
if at all possible use a server. If you can feed your data to a spatial
database like PostGIS and extract with WMS/WFS server like geoserver or
mapserver, then it will be easier still.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.