[OpenLayers-Users] Interactive hot spots on a map for large, complex vector geometries

Rob Marjot rob.marjot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 03:35:22 PDT 2014

Dear list,

I'm in the quest of developing a performant webmapping application
involving large, complex vector objects (pipelines) originating from CAD.
In the application, these objects need to be interactive.

Whether complex or not: the vectors will only be (possibly partly: clipped
by the map extents) rendered to a limited number of pixels. In OpenLayers
3, this idea is exploited: before rendering vectors are pre-processed by
quantizing (and removing duplicate / co-linear) coordinates. (The algorithm
has been implemented by Tim Schaub
<http://tschaub.net/blog/2014/03/04/topology-preserving-simplification.html>
).

Applying quantization (and clipping) dramatically reduces the serialized
(GeoJSON) size of the geometries. Yet, since my coordsys is in meters,
exchanging pixel coordinates will reduce the size even further...

My question: is there a layer type that takes pixel coordinates, relative
to a map corner? Effectively, this would allow me to create hotspots on a
map that was rendered purely serverside.

I fully understand (and tend to accept) the downside of required traffic
upon each panning / zooming. It will be acceptable to request a refresh of
hotspots with a delay of a 1 sec or so.

Otherwise, I'm open to any suggestion taking another approach :))

Thank you in advance!

Rob