[OpenLayers-Users] How to improve the performance of an OpenLayers based API containing a large number of layers?

João Rodrigues joaorodr84 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:13:10 PST 2014

Hi

I have a GIS SDK with WMS layers and Vector layers (with information from
Geoserver).

I have methods for setting a style map, but I have a performance problem.

When I set same style for 30 layers, for example, the UI gets very slow
because the 30 layers have to refresh.

Is it possible to reduce the refresh time for the layers?

I have been thinking about some this, but I need some advice:

a) Is it possible to refresh vector layers **without** downloading the
whole WFS data again? I just want to set a style with some rules.

b) Is it possible to reduce the refreshing time of WMS layers, maybe
juggling with the number/size of the tiles (I am using single tile now)?

c) I tried creating a layer group in Geoserver
<http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/webadmin/data/layergroups.html>,
but I don't know how I can apply a style to each of its layers. I don't
even know if it is possible to manipulate the layers individually when they
are in a layer group. Is it possible?

I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you

PS: When I change zooms or when I pan the map, it is very slow too. I think
it is related to this question, so I leave it as a P.S.