[OpenLayers-Users] Confusion regarding shape file?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Nov 15 13:56:28 PST 2015

sukbir,

geoserver is an option, mapserver and tinyows is another option. You
will likely need to recreate your application using OpenLayers as gmaps
is a closed proprietary library. If you are computing routes in gmaps,
then you will need to look at pgrouting or some other routing solution.

There is no simple answer to this question without knowing in detail all
the typical transactions that are happening between your application and
gmaps and know things like where do you store your data, etc.

I would suggest loading the shapefile into postgresql along with any
additional data you create like your geofences. Then these can be
read/write/edited from things like geoserver or mapserver/tinyows.

gmaps has some ability to pull data from other sources, but it is pretty
limited and I'm pretty sure it does not support routing through other
data. You might be able to put the data in postgresql and create an ajax
handler to fetch limited amounts of data to put and work with in the
client.

Anyway this is just some ideas, other might have more ideas.

-Steve