[OSGeo BC] viewing .gml files with OpenJUMP

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 22:23:04 EST 2010

Hi,
I'm trying to open up the .gml files from NRCan - CanVec website
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/province_gml/nl/
so then i can use a program like OpenJUMP to be able to save it as a .shp
file, then i can upload the .shp files to
www.koordinates.com

Unfortunately, i get an error when trying to load the .gml file.
I tried http://www.gvsig.org/web/   yet the program is rather big and not in
english by default (im trying to install it again, but it stalls on setup)

I also tried http://mygeodata.eu/  and it stalls on loading the .zip file :(

And what is FGDB file?
http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/whatsnew.html;jsessionid=ACD1DCA33E1D9CEA93EDBFCB2D020E4D#canvec-20100611
I'd like CanVec to provide province sized .shp files broken down by theme,
but the files are apparently too big for nrcan to support (that would make
it too easy)

My alternative solution is to just download all of the NTS tile squares and
extract each file type and bring it all into a same folder, then use
OpenJUMP to merge it all together.
(alternativly, i can load it all to koordinates.com and create a layer with
multiple data and export it as a single .shp file)

Anyone have any better options?

Thanks,
Sam

P.S. I use windows and don't have the expensive software ArcGIS, and im a
newbie, so i dont know what a PostGIS database actually is nor how to work
one :)

***

       1 Problem Loading NL_LX. See View / Log For Stack Traces

   - Read first 10 lines of C:\Documents and Settings\Adaptive\My
   Documents\Downloads\canvec7_gml_NL_LX\NL_LX\NL_LX.gml and couldn't find a
   <schemaFeatures> tag. This isn't a valid FME GML file. (Parse Exception)

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn