[osgeo4w-dev] osgeo4w-setup: what does "up to date" mean?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Apr 16 13:23:32 EDT 2008

osgeo4w-setup.exe, downloaded Apr-15

I'm confused what the "Up to date" view category means in the 'Select
Packages' screen of Advanced Install. When I click on the [View] button
until "Up to date" appears, all of the packages under the 'New' column
say "Keep".  Taking the gdal package for example, the default is:

	Current		New
	--------------------
	1.5.0-3		Keep

However if I click on Keep several times it cycles from Keep to
Reinstall to Source to:

	Current		New
	-----------------------
	1.5.0-3		1.5.1-1

So it appears there is a newer version available, but there is no
apparent method way to this with out cycling through the 'New' column --
and this must be repeated for each individual package.

Further confusing the issue is that cycling through another package in
this manner will somtimes reset an earlier package. For example for
msvcrt if I click until 1.0.0-5 is to be installed, and then clicking on
ogsi will reset msvcrt to Keep status. However if ogdi is clicked up to
a newer version first, then msvcrt is happy to upgrade also. I presume
this latter issue hinges on the difficulty of keeping inter-package
dependencies straight.

I didn't file this as a bug report because I'm not sure how to
characterize or categorize it.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie