[osgeo4w-dev] setup in svn and improved a bit

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 28 16:26:31 EST 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>
>> Overall, I still have somewhat mixed feelings about using the Cygwin
>> derived
>> installer due to a few peculiarities it has.  But lacking other
>> suggestions
>> (backed by implementation) I'm not sure what our alternatives are.  I'll
>> followup with a message intended help make a decision.
>>

> Quickly: as MS4W already has a basic NSIS installer, I've been looking
> at expanding that installer this week  (Assefa will be joining me next
> week).  We want to push that as far as it can go and give a report to
> this list (with hopefully something working), so we can all make a
> decision on a route to take.

Jeff,

Excellent!  Hopefully it will be able to take advantage of the packages
accumulating on download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/release?  It would be no problem
if we need to repackage things in .zip, but I'm hopeful that other aspects
of the work so far (directory layout, post-install .bat files) will still
be useful.

I've also fixed the C:\Cygwin default problem in the setup.exe.  It turns
out it was just buried in the code.

I've also packaged shapelib, and avce00 today.  The shapelib was built
with VC9 Express as a proof of concept.  I'd appreciate it if someone with
an older system lacking the MSVCR90.DLL installed could try installing
shapelib, and confirming that "shpproj.exe" gives a usage message at the
OSGeo4W commandline.