[osgeo4w-dev] o4w-apt: an apt-get like utility for OSGeo4W

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 3 22:45:36 EDT 2008

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hello World,
>
> o4w-apt.py is a program for installing modules from the command line
> within an OSGeo4W shell.
> I'm not a developer. This is the most significant python project I've
> ever undertaken and without doubt THERE ARE PROBLEMS. Still, it seems to
> work for me on my computer. I don't know what it might do to anyone elses.
>
> ((http://code.google.com/p/maphew/wiki/AptGetLike))
> ((http://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/trunk/gis/o4w_extras/bin/o4w-apt.py))

Matt,

Cool!

A few notes:

  - I did not have a setup.ini in c:/osgeo4w/etc/setup, so I ended up copying
    it there manually from my cache directory.

  - The openev postinstall target did not work on an upgrade because the
    OSGEO4W_ROOT and OSGEO4W_ROOT_MSYS environment variables were not defined.

C:\osgeo4w\etc\setup>textreplace -std -t bin/openev.bat
Missing OSGEO4W_ROOT or OSGEO4W_ROOT_MSYS environment variable.
Usage: textreplace -sf <source file> -df <destination file>
                    [-map <source text> <destination text>]*
  or
        textreplace -std -t <destination file>

  - The uninstall logic did not seem to realize that \etc\postinstall\*.bat
    files get turned into \etc\postinstall\*.bat.done files.

  - The setup command does not run \bin\osgeo4w-setup.exe

I'm interested in getting this packaged up (including a "covering"
bat file since the osgeo4w shell does not know how to run .py files).