[osgeo4w-dev] o4w-apt: an apt-get like utility for OSGeo4W

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Jul 4 14:12:37 EDT 2008

>  - I did not have a setup.ini in c:/osgeo4w/etc/setup, so I ended up
> copying
>    it there manually from my cache directory.

Ahhh, that is because one needs to run 'o4w-apt setup' first on a new
machine. I neglected to document that.

Here are the results of starting from scratch:
http://code.google.com/p/maphew/wiki/OsgeoFromScratch
suprisingly, it works!

>  - The openev postinstall target did not work on an upgrade because the
>    OSGEO4W_ROOT and OSGEO4W_ROOT_MSYS environment variables were not
> defined.

I'm getting that error too, even when the env is set:
---------
C:\Osgeo4W> set osg
OSGEO4W_ROOT=C:\Osgeo4W

C:\Osgeo4W> .\bin\textreplace.exe -std -t bin\o4w_env.bat
Missing OSGEO4W_ROOT or OSGEO4W_ROOT_MSYS environment variable.
Usage: textreplace -sf <source file> -df <destination file>
                    [-map <source text> <destination text>]*
  or
        textreplace -std -t <destination file>
---------

>  - The uninstall logic did not seem to realize that \etc\postinstall\*.bat
>    files get turned into \etc\postinstall\*.bat.done files.

thanks for noting that.

>  - The setup command does not run \bin\osgeo4w-setup.exe

What would the purpose of that be? What will that do that is not covered
by o4w-apt?

(We've got to find a different name. Mixing numbers and letters mid-word
like that is just too difficult to type!)

> I'm interested in getting this packaged up (including a "covering"
> bat file since the osgeo4w shell does not know how to run .py files).

I've got a batch file which does this for all .py in osgeo/bin[1], see
:MakeBats function:
    cd /d %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin
    for %%g in (*.py) do (
       if not exist %%~ng.bat echo @python "%%OSGEO4W_ROOT%%\bin\%%g"
%%* > %%~ng.bat
       )
    goto :EOF

[1]
http://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/trunk/gis/o4w_extras/install-o4w-extras.bat

I'd love to have this included within osgeo4w. I'm sure more skilled
eyes than mine checking it out would be of great benefit.

cheers,

-matt