[osgeo4w-dev] Package Listings in Trac

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 20 20:18:36 EDT 2008

Folks,

I've started prototyping a package description mechanism for OSGeo4W packages
in Trac.  As you may recall, we just had one huge page listing all packages
and their details in the old wiki:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo4W_Packages

I propose in trac we have one Trac wiki topic for each and every package,
and that the wiki topic be named "pkg-<packagename>".  So the gdal package
is found in topic http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal.

Each package would be manually listed on the master package listing with
a bit of descriptive text, and categorized to some extent:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackageListing

I've transferred the mapserver and gdal packages so far.

I imagine we may want to split package documentation into user oriented
information first, and then a part of the page with developer/packager
oriented documentation eventually.  I don't have an example of doing this
yet.

My hope is that by naming the package topic very consistently we have the
potential to automatically reference the package docs from the installer
at some point in the future.

Thoughts?