[osgeo4w-dev] Location of Local Package Directory

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 10:06:06 EDT 2008

Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, the installer selects Desktop as local directory for
> packages. I think it may cause troubles especially in multi-user
> environment.
>
> I'd suggest to use C:\OSGeo4W\packages for that purpose instead.

Mateusz,

Why do you think that desktop would be a problem in multi-user
environments?  It seems that the desktop is one place that is quite
likely to be writable by the current user.

I'm somewhat hesitant to use any directory within the OSGeo4W tree for
fear there could be some sort of interference though perhaps there would
be no problem.

I must say, I'm not keen on the cache directory being left sitting around
on the desktop.