[osgeo4w-dev] So does this mean the old non-networked versions will die?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Jun 25 12:40:00 EDT 2008

Hi Jo,

I haven't heard any noises about FWTools and friends being discontinued,
but even if they are one can still install osgeo4w without being
networked, though you do need the network at least once.

Acquiring the packages:
    * Run osgeo4w-setup, select Advanced Install, then "Download without
installing", then the rest of the prompts as you like.
    * Copy osgeo4w-seup.exe and the local cached package directory to
cdrom, usb key or whatever

Install on disconnected machine:
   * Run osgeo4w-setup, select Advanced Install, then "Install from
local directory", and continue as though wilt.

This procedure is also useful in network situations where you have a
bunch of workstations to install to and want to limit external bandwith,
just plunk the package cache on a network share.

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,
Information Management and Technology,