[osgeo4w-dev] OpenEV Packaged

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Jun 25 18:21:58 EDT 2008

Hello,

Openev is broken for me. Is this true for others also or peculiar to my
install?

  I installed using the Express option (although previously I have used
Advanced on this machine for the main gdal utilities). I get an error
about _gtk not being available: "ImportError: No module named _gtk".
There is no openev icon on the desktop even though I checked that option.

When I use osgeo4w-setup, advanced install, and select openev the
version chosen is 1.9.0-1, yet if I click on the openev entry within the
[new] column heading it switches to 1.9.0-2.

I tried installing 1.9.0-2 and get a different error when running
openev.bat (sorry I didn't capture it).

I tried uninstalling openev using osgeo4w-setup. The apps/openev
directory was removed but bin/openev.bat and the desktop icon were not
(there may be other orphans, I don't know). I removed them manually.

I attempted to install openev 1.9.0-2 again. The setup program went
through the motions and did not emit an error but no files were
installed. The "Installation Status" on the last screen says "Nothing
needed to be installed".

I eventually managed to get -2 installed again by installing -1 first.
(btw the OpenEV icon shows up on the desktop _before_ the Create Icons
screen is presented). Now I can back to the error not captured earlier:

    'setoeenv.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Looking at openev.bat, it appears OSGEO4W_ROOT is not being set properly
  in line 2:

    @SET OSGEO4W_ROOT=@osgeo4w@

I hard coded that line to C:\osgeo4w which reveals that another required
file is missing, "bin\o4w_env.bat", and following that a popup error:

---------------------------
python.exe - Unable To Locate Component
---------------------------
This application has failed to start because gdal15.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

That was fixed by adding "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin" to PATH, however now I'm
back to the missing _gtk error as with 1.9.0-1. GTK is not listed in the
available packages during install.

There are several bugs/issues here but I'm unsure how (or whether to)
break them up, thus this general message to the list.

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,
Information Management and Technology,
Yukon Department of Environment