[osgeo4w-dev] Support for the WIN64 binaries

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 2 19:22:47 EST 2008

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> While I'm not sure about the current state of the osgeo4w project
> wouldn't it be reasonable to establish at least a limited support for
> the WIN64 binaries as well? Currently there's no 'official' binary
> package that would provide such images, however in the recent days
> there have been a growing interest in these binaries out there. From
> the aspect of my specific area of interest (the mapserver and gdal c#
> bindings) at some point having these binaries are quite inevitable
> when supporting the 64 bit .NET framework and to avoid
> BadImageFormatExceptions every time.
> There are a bunch of the libraries (like gdal, mapserver, proj, geos,
> zlib, libcurl, libpng, libgd) that I've already compiled and used so I
> could probably take part of this effort if needed. WIN64 builders have
> already been added to the mapserver and the gdal buildbot for doing
> regular builds and testing.

Tamas,

My opinion is that this should be deferred till we have successfully
produced a 32bit generation of OSGeo4W, and even then I'm assuming this
is mostly something aimed at developers, is that right?

Obviously, you are welcome to apply your time as desired, but I'm not keen
on a win64 adventure yet.