[osgeo4w-dev] Support for the WIN64 binaries

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 03:59:44 EST 2008

2008/3/3, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

>  My opinion is that this should be deferred till we have successfully
>  produced a 32bit generation of OSGeo4W, and even then I'm assuming this
>  is mostly something aimed at developers, is that right?

No. As far as I can see the number of the 64 bit Windows Servers
installed in production environment and Vista 64 for the clients is
quite increasing. I'm saying this, because I'm asked about twice a
week to provide Win64 binaries mostly because of the .NET stuff which
is non-usable in their environments, definitely.

>  Obviously, you are welcome to apply your time as desired, but I'm not keen
>  on a win64 adventure yet.

Since I'm not keen to develop yet another binary distribution
installer for this, I'm wondering
if we could establish a placeholder in osgeo4w to convey the Win64
binaries I currently can produce. It would certainly be a limited set
of the packages comparing to the Win32 stuff, but it would provide
something that's much difficult to create from scratch for the users.

My only problem is that I'm quite unfamiliar about how the build
mechanism is actually being established in osgeo. Is this something
automated (by using scheduled checkouts and building), or manually
packaged related to the regular releases? Therefore I'm not totally
sure whether adding the Win64 binaries would require to reinvent the
wheel and create a brand new installer or the packages could
incrementally added to the system later on. This is somewhat worth to
deal with, before we choose the right direction to follow. If the
latter is the case (incremental addition) then why don't we add some
of these Win64 packages in this development phase?

Best regards,

Tamas