[osgeo4w-dev] Progress Update

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 13 02:47:34 EDT 2008

Sarel Coetzer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read most of the latest discussion. What are the thoughts about
> providing a database such as PostgreSQL/PostGIS with various mapping apps
> within one installation instance.

Sarel,

My preliminary intention was to deliver the OSGeo4W stack with postgres
client support built in (MapServer, GDAL, etc) but not to include the
actual Postgres instance.  The main rationale is that configuring postgres
can be non-trivially complex, and would be challenging to include in the
installer.

But I'm not adverse to someone trying to package a postgres server for
OSGeo4W (with PostGIS) if they want.