[osgeo4w-dev] Mapserver/Developer category

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 10:14:25 EDT 2008

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> Hi There,
>
>  Would it make sense to have an additional developer category where we
> would essentially have all the libraries/herders/dlls that are needed to
> build Mapserver locally  (basically most of the current windows buildkit
> that we use would be available).
> Note that most of the header/libraries are already available through the
> installer in xxx-devel packages. I personally find it is a very
> convenient way to get access to libraries through the installer and
> build Mapserver locally against them.

Assefa,

The normal practice now is to include include files and stub libraries
in with the library dlls and other supporting materials all in one package
in the "Libs" category.  There are a couple exceptions to that, but they
were done before we settled on the "fat package" approach rather than
trying to split out -bin, -devel, etc.

So, I would hope most buildkit stuff we need would go into Libs - a fair
amount is already there.