[osgeo4w-dev] Re: osgeo4w-dev Digest, Vol 14, Issue 6

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Feb 6 03:42:32 EST 2009

Hi Frank,

On Thu, 05. Feb 2009 at 19:11:33 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I think I was a bit wrong before suggesting the current working directory
> was important.  The preference then is to have the .exe in the same place
> the .dll's are.

It is, when the safe mode isn't enabled (XP <SP2).

> I'm also not sure what the implications are for DLLs loaded from odd places
> like GDAL plugins.

This should also apply to QGIS plugins and I think it's not just the
directory the EXE was loaded from, but also the directory the DLL was
loaded that triggers other DLLs. IOW the right dependencies need also to
be in each plugin directory. IIRC i needed to copy the right ssl dlls to
the QGIS plugin directory to get the postgres provider working - just
putting it in the directory with the qgis.exe was not good enough.

Perhaps we should try harder to update system32.    We could run

for %%f ("%OSGEO4W_ROOT"\bin\*.dll) do dllupdate --dllupdate -oite -ask -copy
"%%f"

on each install, where --ask queries the user via message box if the
update should actually take place and warns him that OSGeo4W might not
work otherwise.

Still renaming DLLs that we know have a incompatble ABI to the ones
we're afraid to find in system32 is a good idea (eg. libtiff4).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden