[osgeo4w-dev] workflow for uploading and testing a new package?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 01:58:28 EST 2009

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hello,   what is the workflow for uploading and testing a new package?
>
> I've added a postinstall action to gdal-python for creating .bat for
> .py's, c.f. http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/17, placed it in a
> local .bz2 archive with version number incremented
> (gdal-python-1.5.2-2.tar.bz2) but am not sure what to do with it now.
> I haven't found a staging area on the server or information on how to
> test uploaded packages before they go live to everybody.

Matt,

In the past you would login to upload.osgeo.org and run the regen.sh
script to recreate the setup.ini file with the new packages.

However, this gave no opportunity to do a real test of new packages
before they were live for others.  So tonight I have made a few changes.

Primarily, I modified things so we have a setup_test.ini file on the
server which we can use for testing (by passing -t to setup.exe).  This
file is produced by the regen.sh, and now an extra step is required to
promote this file to the official location (setup.ini).

Furthermore, I have added web accessable cgi's to do the regen and
promote steps.

  * http://upload.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/osgeo4w-regen.sh : Generate test setup
  * Test by passing -t to setup program.
  * http://upload.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/osgeo4w-regen.sh : Promote test to live

I have updated the PackagingInstructions to refer to this:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackagingInstructions

To streamline this I have also changed the whole /osgeo4w/download/osgeo4w
tree to be owned by apache.apache, and for all directories to have "all"
write permissions.

Hopefully this will make it easier for us as packagers to responsibly
test new packages before they are deployed for end users.