[osgeo4w-dev] workflow for uploading and testing a new package?

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:54:52 EST 2009

Hi Frank,

I tried to use the workflow described but the setup_test.ini does not
contain the new package. Here is what I did:

1. Use WinSCP, login as maphew, and upload apt-0.0-1.tar.bz2 to
/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release/apt

2. Point web browser to
http://upload.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/osgeo4w-regen.sh. After a few minutes
I get a message saying the setup_test.ini is built.

3. Point browser at /download_data/download/osgeo4w/setup_test.ini to
have a look, Apt is not there.

I repeated a couple of times to make sure I didn't over look something
and got the same results.

(((a usability note: I would leave out the hyperlink from the "File
generated, after testing promote to live". It's the only link on the
page and would be easy to activate by accident. Perhaps instead link
to the packaging instructions page which links to the promote script.
Or something.

Speaking of promote script, the link to it on the packinging
instructions wiki page was broken, I fixed the link but didn't test
it.)))

The ./apt directory is owned by maphew while all the others are owned
by apache. Perhaps that is messing things up?

best regards,

-matt

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Matt Wilkie wrote:
>>
>> Hello,   what is the workflow for uploading and testing a new package?
>>
>> I've added a postinstall action to gdal-python for creating .bat for
>> .py's, c.f. http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/17, placed it in a
>> local .bz2 archive with version number incremented
>> (gdal-python-1.5.2-2.tar.bz2) but am not sure what to do with it now.
>> I haven't found a staging area on the server or information on how to
>> test uploaded packages before they go live to everybody.
>
> Matt,
>
> In the past you would login to upload.osgeo.org and run the regen.sh
> script to recreate the setup.ini file with the new packages.
>
> However, this gave no opportunity to do a real test of new packages
> before they were live for others.  So tonight I have made a few changes.
>
> Primarily, I modified things so we have a setup_test.ini file on the
> server which we can use for testing (by passing -t to setup.exe).  This
> file is produced by the regen.sh, and now an extra step is required to
> promote this file to the official location (setup.ini).
>
> Furthermore, I have added web accessable cgi's to do the regen and
> promote steps.
>
>  * http://upload.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/osgeo4w-regen.sh : Generate test setup
>  * Test by passing -t to setup program.
>  * http://upload.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/osgeo4w-regen.sh : Promote test to live
>
> I have updated the PackagingInstructions to refer to this:
>
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackagingInstructions
>
> To streamline this I have also changed the whole /osgeo4w/download/osgeo4w
> tree to be owned by apache.apache, and for all directories to have "all"
> write permissions.
>
> Hopefully this will make it easier for us as packagers to responsibly
> test new packages before they are deployed for end users.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> warmerdam at pobox.com

-matt