[osgeo4w-dev] Problems re-installing on WinXP 64

Paul Mallas pmallas at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Jan 27 14:29:02 EST 2009

I seem to be having similar problems to Ivan - although I got a bit
further with my install than he did.  I have a 64 XP machine (I also run
Cygwin - I don't know why but I feel I must mention it).

For example, Ivan reported for

qgis:        This application has failed to start because QtCore4.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
gdalinfo:  This application has failed to start because ogdi_32b1.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
and some other problem there was a problem with the  zlib_osgeo.dll .

I got around all of the by essentially installing all of the libraries
with advanced install option (I started doing one library at a time but
every new installed just required another, so I went ahead and installed
all the libs).  So, the programs did not complain about the above libs
anymore.  But they complained about new ones, that I seem to have
installed, but cannot find in my distribution.

Now, qgis complains that gdal16.dll cannot be found and openev complains
about proj_fw.dll (gdal tools have same complaint).  I cannot find these
files in my distribution at all.

Anyway, maybe this will provide a clue.