[osgeo4w-dev] package updates fail to install, no error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Jan 31 23:07:52 EST 2009

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For tickets #21 (Start Menu localization) and #36 (call o4w_env.bat)
> I've updated the following packages and put them online:
>
>   openev: etc/postinstall/openev.bat   #change to %startmenu% syntax
>
>   setup: bin/   #added osgeo-setup_test-ini.bat
>
> My process was to open each package, delve into the 'bin' and 'etc'
> folders, examine *.bat, and update if necessary.

Matt,

I have taken the liberty of making a few changes in the setup package.
First I renamed osgeo4w-setup_test-ini.bat to setup-test.bat.  I
also introduced a setup.bat for the non-test case.  I altered both of
these to copy the osgeo4w-setup.exe to a temporary file before running
to avoid the annoying messages about the .exe being in use when it is
upgraded.

I've checked the updated scripts into svn.

> I stopped at the testing phase (osgeo4w-setup.exe -t
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/setup_test.ini) because the updated
> packages don't seem to install properly. Going to Advanced Install the
> previous version is selected instead (1.9.0-3 in the case of openev).
> Clicking on the version number column I can get it to increase to
> 1.9.0-4, but pressing Next after that fails. There is no error message,
> it says it is complete, but the apps/openev tree is empty.

I tried the test mode ini file and it upgraded both packages without
any apparent problem.  I'm surprised you are having problems.