[osgeo4w-dev] osgeo4w installer - russian

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 4 11:59:23 EDT 2009

Maxim Dubinin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've finished translating osgeo4w installer in Russian. You'll
> probably ask "what for", I'll answer believe it or not, some people
> still manage not to know English, but we want them to use cool tools
> ;) It didn't take much time anyway so I encourage people to do the
> same.
>
> Frank kindly put the link to the website and resourse file to svn.
>
> One more idea from the translators, I don't know how hard it is, but
> may be make packages names from setup.ini translatable too?

Maxim,

We could look into mechanisms to support translations in the setup.hint
files stored with packages.  But I think this would require work on the
scary perl script used to generate the setup.ini file:

   http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/genini

I would note that this script is also running pretty slow even with a
relatively modest number of OSGeo4W packages.  So perhaps reengineering
it in Python in a more understandable form would be worthwhile.

--

Folks - I have given Maxim OSGeo4W SVN commit access to maintain this
translation and also for a new Ukrainian translation he has available.