[osgeo4w-dev] Re: OSGeo4W love

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 03:50:53 EST 2010

I'd like to raise the profile of the apt command line o4w installer a bit at
this point (http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-apt). The recent problem
(tickets #18, #122) with the shell package was discovered while using apt to
install it because error messages were shown in the console window. The
fault was not obvious with osgeo4w-setup.exe because it does not capture or
display errors in the postinstall scripts, or at least not this type of
error.

Apt doesn't perfectly mirror osgeo4w-setup.exe, for example it doesn't yet
handle a non-english start menu* or remove desktop links on removal, so it
shouldn't be used as a wholesale replacement, but it can be useful tool for
testing if nothing else.

* . There is a path to fix that, but it will require adding the python
win32com package to the pre-reqs  which is bit hefty.
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2216173/how-to-get-path-of-start-menus-programs-directory)
I don't know if we could or should go that route.

cheers,

-matt