[osgeo4w-dev] Use and share OSGeo4W

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Feb 10 13:07:25 EST 2010

Bonjour Yves,

In short, there is no problem using OSGeo4W for your camptocamp
training. In fact I think that's great. :)

While each program or package available from OSGeo4W
(http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/)  has it's own license, they are all
open source (http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd).  For example GDAL is
X/MIT, GRASS is GPL, and uDig is LGPL, to highlight just 3 prominent
applications.

OSGeo4W itself only has two applications, pkg-setup and pkg-apt. All
others are simply convenient re-packaging of projects from elsewhere.
The Package Listing page,
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackageListing, describes each of the
packages and where they are acquired from. To determine a particular
application's license terms examine the install package
(http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/release/) and/or the source projects'
website.

An OSGeo4W CD aquired from somewhere other than the project website may
or may not have other things on it with different, possibly proprietary,
license terms. There is a page describing how to make your own install
cd at  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/InstallFromCD

Someone else will have to answer the translation part of your question
as I simply don't know.

Salut,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst