[osgeo4w-dev] Python 2.6

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 6 12:40:44 EST 2010

Sampson, David wrote:
> Hey Folks.
>
> A. Would it help if I lent a hand? I just recently learnt how to handle
> SWIG for python and also posted a message to OSGEO discuss concerning
> migrating to Python 3.0
>
> B. How do I find out what modules?
>
> C. Could building a script help us in the future? Especially with
> migrating to 3.x?
>
> D. I could always build inside a virtual winxp box on my linux system at
> home. A mini build env?

Dave,

The various python modules are already "owned" by packagers and it could
be distruptive to have someone else drop in and try to replace them all
without necessarily knowing the special conditions the original packagers
accounted for.  I would prefer a move to Python 2.6 take place as part of
an agreed step by all the OSGeo4W stakeholders.

Personally, I'm not clear on benefits of Python 2.6 that would justify a
large amount of disruption.