[osgeo4w-dev] Python 2.6

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 6 15:21:42 EST 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Patrick Cullen wrote:
>> It seems like it would be a fairly common case that an osgeo4w user
>> would 1) only use a small subset of the available packages 2)
>> eventually need to upgrade a package due to external dependencies
>> before everybody else is ready.  This seems especially likely where
>> core components are concerned (Python, ogr, etc.)  Are there docs /
>> email threads addressing?  Surely somebody else has tried to upgrade
>> python or will soon?
>
> Patrick,
>
> OSGeo4W comes with a Python of a particular version (1.5 currently) and
> packages (like GDAL and mapserver bindings for instance) that are for that
> version.
>
> If you want a different version of Python, just install it outside of
> OSGeo4W - but you won't be able to use it with the Python modules for
> OSGeo4W.
>
> Best regards,

Just a quick note: one reason to start looking the migration path to
python 2.6 is that introduces some forward compatibility with python 3.0
Basically you can start using some 3.0 syntax for things that have
changed between 2.6 and 3.0 like the print statement being
print(something) instead of print something.

That said I don't see any particular reason to rush but it would make
sense that we pass the request around to all the projects, and file a
ticket so that it does get discussed and addressed some time in the near
future.

Alex