[osgeo4w-dev] Python 2.6

Patrick Cullen cullepm3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:09:58 EST 2010

> If you want a different version of Python, just install it outside of
> OSGeo4W - but you won't be able to use it with the Python modules for
> OSGeo4W.

I am building a spatial app with Python and some of the packages in OSGeo4w.  I've hit a point in development where I need features from python 2.6.  Installing a more current python version outside of OSGeo4W doesn't solve my problem because I need the libraries from OSGeo4W.  I would like to upgrade the version of python _WITHIN_ OSGeo4W and if necessary, update the specific python libraries / bindings I am using.  I thought this would be easier than the alternative: rolling my own OSGeo4W like environment (python/GDAL/postgres/postgis/).  Maybe not?