[osgeo4w-dev] libintl-8.dll

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 26 11:38:34 EDT 2011

On 11-04-21 07:55 PM, Kurt Menke wrote:
> I have just installed OsGeo4W on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. When I open the
> OSGeo4W shell I get the following error://
>
> /The program can't start because libintl-8.dll is missing from your computer.
> Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. /

Kurt,

I see that libintl-8.dll is part of the libpq 8.3.10 package.  Could you
possibly go through the advanced install and find this package (in libraries
I believe) and click on the "Keep" item until it switches to "Reinstall"?

It seems I ran into this once too.  I don't know why there was a problem.

As an aside I see the libpq 8.3 package includes iconv and a bunch of stuff
that might well conflict with other packages.  I'm not sure what the reasoning
was to package it this way.

> The shell also reports that:
>
> ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL: C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MG4Lidar.dll
>
> ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL: C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MG4Lidar.dll
>
> ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL: C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MrSID.dll
>
> ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL: C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MrSID.dll
>
> I've tried reinstalling several times but the dll is apparently still missing.
> What component do I need to install to have this dll installed?

There are a variety of reasons this might not work, but it is not fatal.
It just means that you won't have MrSID support.  Do you need MrSID support?
If so, I'd suggest you try reinstalling the gdal-mrsid package and see if
it works better.

Hmm, I see that the gdal-mrsid package now puts the DLLs in
C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\1.8.  I wonder if you have old plugins
sitting around.  You might just need to delete the above files
to avoid the warning.