[osgeo4w-dev] mscvr90

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Thu Nov 17 10:22:53 EST 2011

Hello,

I'm hitting a wall on these (damned!) manifest/CRT issues.

I'm using OSGeo4W as a pool of prebuilt libraries to build/test software
on top of it.
I'm building with Visual Express 2008 / Win7 , and since some time now,
I lost my "Debug" build :
* When building the software in Release mode, everything runs OK.
* When building the software in Debug mode, I get an error at runtime
for all my apps :
    "R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime
incorreclty."

Glad I found this thread, because downgrading the libtiff package to
4.0.0dev-90 (which depends on VC71, while the current 4.0.0dev-91 is
built with VC9) solves the issue : the debug build is usable again.
I have a bunch of msvc*90.dll versions (10 actually !) in my
Windows/winsxs folder but I have no idea if the one that OSGeo4W msvcrt
package is supposed to install is actually there.

Going back with the 4.0.0dev-91 version, in Release mode, I found
something weird : the msvc*90.dll required by libtiff dll are found from
my CMake installation dir (in my PATH), not from the winsxs folder (saw
this with dependency walker).
When I remove them from my PATH, dependency walker can't find the
required msvcr90 and msvcp90 dlls required by libtiff.dll.
But for example xerces-c_3_1.dll is ok and finds its required
msvcr90.dll from my winsxs folder.
And my own Release executables (linked to gdal and libtiff) find what
they need too in winsxs.
I tried to manually uninstall/reinstall the vcredist_2008_x86 included
in the msvcrt 1.0.1-5 osgeo package. No luck on this. I checked the
windows event log and it says the package installed fine.

Another strange dependency issue with libtiff-4.0.0dev-91 , once I
removed the cmake-provided msvc9 dll from my PATH :
- tiffinfo won't start (same R6034 error)
- gdalinfo (which depends on libtiff) runs fine !?!?!
In dependency walker, I see that tiffinfo does not find the msvc9 dll,
like libtiff.dll. But gdalinfo finds it correctly in the Windows/winsxs
folder.

Any idea about what is going on ?
Does tiffinfo from the libtiff-4.0.0dev-91 package runs fine on your
osgeo4w install ? If yes, where does the msvc9 dll comes from ?
Is there something wrong specifically with the libtiff binaries version
4.0.0dev-91 (manifest information missing or something along those lines) ?

Does anyone succeed in building and running a software with Visual 2008
Express in Debug mode, linking to libtiff from the 4.0.0dev-91 package ?

Any idea of thing to check/test/reinstall is warmly welcome, I'm
definitely lost...
Julien