[osgeo4w-dev] python 2.7 as default: would anything significant break?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Mon Nov 28 13:38:24 EST 2011

Hi Jürgen,

> We'd also need 'real' gdal bindings.
I'm not sure what this means, I don't know what real, or unreal, gdal
bindings are. :)

As far the last set, liblas-python through mapscript-python, I don't use
them either. We could just throw the switch and wait for bug reports
from those who do use them.(?) Not very friendly but would let us move
forward.

Martin, can you tell us what the status is for wxpython, and those
packages that require it?

Longer term: Can anyone throw some energy at 'package to register python
in Windows registry'? (http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/114). I
believe it to be mostly correct but it needs testing and verification. I
think allowing the o4w python be registered with Windows would alleviate
pressure to include lesser used programs in the package repository, by
letting people use the standard generic installers.

--
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst