[osgeo4w-dev] python 2.7 as default: would anything significant break?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Nov 28 14:50:11 EST 2011

On 11/28/2011 10:38 AM, Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hi Jürgen,
>
>> We'd also need 'real' gdal bindings.
> I'm not sure what this means, I don't know what real, or unreal, gdal
> bindings are. :)
>
> As far the last set, liblas-python through mapscript-python, I don't use
> them either. We could just throw the switch and wait for bug reports
> from those who do use them.(?) Not very friendly but would let us move
> forward.
>
> Martin, can you tell us what the status is for wxpython, and those
> packages that require it?
>
> Longer term: Can anyone throw some energy at 'package to register python
> in Windows registry'? (http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/114). I
> believe it to be mostly correct but it needs testing and verification. I
> think allowing the o4w python be registered with Windows would alleviate
> pressure to include lesser used programs in the package repository, by
> letting people use the standard generic installers.

I think it's a good option, but should remain optional. The biggest
problem I know this would cause is for any users of ArcGIS, so some
testing would need to be done to make sure it's not a nightmare to keep
both running and so that OSGeo4w install doesn't break someone's Arc
install. If the packages are setup I can get some people to test this.

+1 on moving ahead

All of the packages listed by Jurgen are known to work with 2.7 just
need to be rebuilt for windows.
Ex:
http://gis.638310.n2.nabble.com/Can-Python-2-7-be-used-with-Mapnik-0-7-1-td5768239.html

Thanks,