[osgeo4w-dev] major milestone: apt eats apt!

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Sep 1 19:43:07 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

*A major milestone reached, Apt
<http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-apt> eats Apt!*

<http://www.maphew.com/Projects/appy#>Last night I completed building *a
package of apt.exe can upgrade itself*. This means, I think, that now
apt should be able to replace any and all packages in Osgeo4W in one go
including python. There is much left to do, it's only been tested on two
computers so far, and it consumes more diskspace and bandwidth than I
think it should, but it works!

To try it out, point your existing apt or o4w setup program (see
/Testing Repository /at end of this page
<http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/RequiresPython>) at
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/testing/ and upgrade away.

    apt --mirror http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/testing/ update
    apt new
    apt upgrade

After this running apt with no parameters should yield the usual help
page with a version number at the top that resembles:

    -={ Id: apt.py 1179 2011-09-01 12:42:24Z maphew }=-

    apt [OPTION]... COMMAND [PACKAGE]...

If the first line is just [option] etc. the new apt.exe hasn't been
activated. Running%osgeo4w_root%\bin\apt.bat should fix that. If not
please let me know.

For this who don't know, apt is portable. Grab apt.exe
<http://maphew.googlecode.com/files/apt-r1179.exe>, dump it any
directory whatsoever, initialize the osgeo4w_root variable and install away:

    D:\>
    rename apt-r1179.exe apt.exe
    set osgeo4w_root=X:\o4w
    apt setup
    apt available
    apt install shell ...

However to replace itself you need some extra magic from the apt
package, so add the following (and then you are free to remove the .exe
you started with).

    apt install apt

Feedback is welcome. I know some things are more complicated than they
should or need to be, but hey I don't know very much about this
programming stuff ;-)

cheers,

-matt
(who still can't believe this thing actually /works!/)