[osgeo4w-dev] Moving from msvcrt to shell

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:58:49 EST 2012

> It's in the test''ing'' repository as python-win32-2.16-2.tar.bz2;
> Jürgen Fischer is the maintainer and I didn't want to step on his toes.

Jürgen, you maintain a lot packages. :) I'd like your feedback before moving
ahead with:

The change I proposed for pythonwin above is actually a test case of a far
reaching project which will affect 154 packages, namely moving from msvct to
shell as the root package for all of osgeo4w
(http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/18), and changing app startup
batchfiles and links to call o4w_env.bat[*] instead of embedding the same in
their own files, msys.bat for example
(http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/36).

I had been thinking I'd make slowly my way through those package changes and
putting them in the testing repository. However some testing repository
packages are actually older than current repository so it doesn't in fact
make a good test bed. I'm not sure how to proceed.

#18 is a simple search and replace of setup.hint. I don't anticipate
difficulty as it shouldn't affect packaging at all. I think this could be
done on the current repo safely: do you agree?

#36 is little more work and could unintentionally mess up or get out of sync
with a maintainers private build setup using helpers not present in the
package. It could also be perceived as meddling and that's certainly not a
place I want to go. I see two options: a) just publish the best practice and
leave the packages alone, and b) go ahead and make the changes, test, and
apologize if necessary. What do you think?

[*] I just now noticed osgeo4w.bat and bin\o4w_env.bat largely duplicate
each other. The latter is older and thus more likely to be depended on by
others, so I'll make the former call it as well and remove the dupe.

best regards,

-matt