[osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W numpy upgrade

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Apr 16 12:57:33 PDT 2013

Hi Howard,

Sorry for the late reply.

On Fri, 12. Apr 2013 at 15:23:31 -0500, Howard Butler wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade the python-numpy package to 1.7.1, and I was wondering if
> you remember how you packaged the 1.5.1 package.

Thanks for picking this up.

Guessing from my build directory, it can have been as simple as "python
setup.py build" and "python setup.py install" and then tarring up what got
installed into apps/Python27/lib/site-packages.

It needs the VS 2008 compiler (MSVC 15, I think), which is also what is used
for QGIS, so that would have been in place already.

> Are there great breakage risks of doing this, and if so, how would we test?

Not sure.  The tests in numpy require `nose`, which we didn't and apparently
still don't have.

Dependants are gdal-python, GRASS, matplotlib and pyqwt5-qt4.  matplotlib in
turn is used by GRASS and QGIS and pyqwt5-qt4 just by QGIS.  For QGIS the
dependencies are just there to support plugins.

I think matplotlib would also need to be updated/rebuilt to work with a newer
numpy.  The numpy dependency in pyqwt5 is optional.

Not sure if there's anything to be done for GRASS or gdal-python - but I
suppose both will hopefully be updated soon anyway (when GDAL 1.10 and GRASS
6.4.3 are released).

hth
Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden