[osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sat Jan 20 12:45:33 PST 2018

Hi community,

as we've seen in the Google Codeā€‘in contest and students' feedback, MS windows is still an
important operating system within the user base of the OSGeo stack.

Beside the windows standalone installers of e.g. QGIS or winGRASS (both are based upon OSGeo4W),
the OSGeo4W framework itself is a very important platform to deliver the OSGeo stack to the users
of this operating system.

As an example, when I'm helping winGRASS users on the GRASS user ML, I'm often refering to use OSGeo4W-winGRASS
in order to check if the issue/problem is also there.

Furthermore, OSGeo4W is also an important testing platform as it's possible to use/test the latest greatest dailys of
e.g. QGIS3 or GRASS7.4svn on the windows operating system.

Another example, University of Vienna deploys OSGeo4W to all its public students PCs.

Searching [1] and screening the new website, there seems to be no information about/no link to OSGeo4W [2].

Is this intentional? Just overseen?

OSGeo will loose new and interested users of the OSGeo software stack when no one can find the nice framework for the still
most used operating system.

Kind regards
Helmut

OSGeo charter member