[Live-demo] Live DVD - next steps

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:00:34 PDT 2008

Hamish,
By "stand alone Open Source project" I mean a project which has its own
steering committee, svn, issue tracker, wiki etc.

So far, our aim has been to select a unique memorable name and icon for
the project, and with most of our GeoFOSS projects using derivatives of
the word "open" or "geoXXX", we thought that it would be wise to select
something different. (Like "skype" which doesn't have anything to do
with free IP telephone calls).
But I hear the comments about the name "arramagong" and will discuss it
with others at LISAsoft today.

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> In particular, we are starting to put infrastructure in place to make
>> the Live DVD a stand alone Open Source project, the first thing we are
>> needing to get in place for our print run is a name,
>>

> What do you mean by "stand alone Open Source project"?
> i.e. stand-alone from what?
>
> Do you mean to move away from calling it the OSGeo Live DVD ?
>
> Why/where's the advantage in that? The simple descriptive name is
> instantly recognizable as to what it does...
>

> slightly confused,
> Hamish

Geospatial Systems Architect