[Live-demo] Live DVD - give us a name
cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:50:52 PDT 2008
We've had a pow-wow here at LISAsoft and acknowledge concerns regarding
the name"arramagong" for the LiveDVD project, and want to hear ideas for
a new name.
Some guidelines from various parties that I've heard so far are:
1. Name needs to be easy to remember, pronounce and write. One or two
syllables seems to be the preference.
Some suggestions prefer not to pick a word based on "Geo.." or "Open..."
as these words and derivatives are already over utilised in our area.
2. The name needs to be available as a domain, preferably as all .org
3. Linking to what the project stands for would be good, but not
essential. This is likely to be broader than what we initially start out
* We now have a debian based LiveDVD, which has windows installers for a
number of GeoFOSS packages.
* We will likely target other media in the near future, including USB drive
* There will likely be derivatives of the project, a distribution
targeting a education, or a distribution bundled with a specific
* The project might grow into a distribution itself at some point -
maybe something like a geobuntu (I dream big)
* The project includes the process for building a LiveDVD, not just the
So please give us your suggestions for a name. We want to finalise this
within a day or two so that it is available in time for our upcoming
Cameron Shorter wrote:
> By "stand alone Open Source project" I mean a project which has its
> own steering committee, svn, issue tracker, wiki etc.
> So far, our aim has been to select a unique memorable name and icon
> for the project, and with most of our GeoFOSS projects using
> derivatives of the word "open" or "geoXXX", we thought that it would
> be wise to select something different. (Like "skype" which doesn't
> have anything to do with free IP telephone calls).
> But I hear the comments about the name "arramagong" and will discuss
> it with others at LISAsoft today.
> Hamish wrote:
>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> In particular, we are starting to put infrastructure in place to make
>>> the Live DVD a stand alone Open Source project, the first thing we are
>>> needing to get in place for our print run is a name,
>> What do you mean by "stand alone Open Source project"?
>> i.e. stand-alone from what?
>> Do you mean to move away from calling it the OSGeo Live DVD ?
>> Why/where's the advantage in that? The simple descriptive name is
>> instantly recognizable as to what it does...
>> slightly confused,
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
Think Globally, Fix Locally
Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
More information about the Osgeolive