[Live-demo] Live DVD - next steps

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:18:02 PDT 2008

My issue with this name is that geofoss is already in user describing
the free and open source geospatial software.  While that is certainly
the arena we're playing in, I don't think we should be grabbing a
categorical identifier as our project name.  It does say geographic, it
does say open source, but it doesn't really say anything about the
project.  Similarly for foss4g derived names.  I don't think we should
involk the OSGeo, as we are not an official OSGeo project (yet), nor are
we constraining the software to that under the OSGeo umbrella.
I admit that I choose the name Arramagong mostly for the novelty of it,
but if the alternative is to have a vague name such as geofoss (sorry to
pick on Cameron) that actually says nothing about the project, we may as
well have a name that's meaningless enough to discourage pointless
guessing at the meaning and doesn't annex an existing term or draw
associations where there may not be.

--
Mark