[Live-demo] Ideas for Collaboration

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Apr 16 18:31:03 PDT 2009

All,
I think UbuntuGIS is probably a more appropriate place for most of our
work as we are building based on the Ubuntu distro and not directly on
Debian.

I see why ideally live-helper is the better way to do it.
Some notes on ubuntu modifications to get it to work right
http://clemensfam.org/john/?p=39

My biggest concern is whether we have enough people with the technical
expertise. I know I've read the how to build deb tutorials/manuals a
couple of times and still haven't been able to build a proper deb. The
concepts are all in my head but I just haven't figured out all the
patch/diff modification stuff and where the binary gets generated.

For some of these projects I see why deb packages could be problematic.
Ideally they would be in the official repos, but those don't update that
frequently, it's kinda good that QGIS has it's own PPA  so you can get
the latest stable asap.

Also, speaking from experience with some server installs. I never
install mapserver or plone using the packages, they just have to many
odd tweaks or missing components that make it hard to use and upgrade
between versions. But this probably doesn't matter for the Live Disc.

I guess my vote is to try the live-helper method using the UbuntuGIS
launchpad and PPA for building debs and possibly an osgeo trac for
managing our config files and options.

We should make a place for checkinstall debs created of svn trunks for
super cutting edge in case people want those. Probably a second PPA,
since I read that launchpad let's you have more than one now.

SideNote: Talking with eipfanio, including all the common languages on
the same disc is going to eat up a lot space, so I want to make sure
it's easy to take the base image or config and drop the language you
want for your particular need as a disc for that language group.

Alex