[Live-demo] LiveDVD from GISVM?

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Wed Aug 12 16:05:54 PDT 2009

Cameron,

Thank you for asking…

> I wonder whether it would be possible to cut a Live
> DVD image from the GISVM virtual machine image?

Well, as far as I know there are a million ways to build a Live CD.
In theory you
can make a Live CD out of any running Linux OS.

( http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Creating_a_Live_GIS_DISC_from_scratch )

Never
thought much about that, but making a Live CD out of a Virtual Machine must also be possible!
One way has already been proposed by Massimo...

> If so, this could be an effective way to share the maintenance of
> the LiveDVD and GISVM, and share communities.

Yes, GISVM and
LiveDVD have many things in common.
And I know
some projects that have both distributions: Live CD & Virtual Machine.
Just an example
“IcAROS”: http://aros.sourceforge.net/download.php

Until now,
I really haven’t thought seriously about building a Live CD on the GISVM
project.

Because there are already several similar solutions out there and, I believe, it
must focus on Virtualization. (the future… ;-)

However, I’m
building a completely new GISVM Desktop version, right from scratch.
So we could
join forces and work together.
It would be wonderfull to see FOSS4G programmers involved on making GISVM a better solution for users.

> Is this possible, and what would be involved to make
this happen?

Well, to
make it happen, first I need to know more about Live GIS Disc initiative:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc

The first
version I knew about, was Lorenzo’s, Omniverdi Live CD:
http://livecd.ominiverdi.org/
I suppose FOSS4G
2007 and 2008 Live DVD where made out of it.

This year,
for FOSS4G2009, OSGeo and Lisasoft changed it to “Arramagong”
http://www.arramagong.com/

So, Live
DVD is now sponsored by OSGeo and Lisasoft:
http://www.arramagong.com/Arramagong/Sponsors.html

And that's what I know about it.

GISVM is just
an interesting idea that I decided to put online, out of my spare time and pocket.

At
my current situation, I can’t afford the time and money necessary to enter on a
bigger project.

But I will
gladly consider any proposal, from OSGeo or other, about something concerning building
together a LiveCD and Virtual Machine for FOSS4G.

Regards,
Ricardo
Pinho
http://gisvm.com

Enviadas: Terça-feira, 11 de Agosto de 2009 7:49:16
Assunto: [Live-demo] LiveDVD from GISVM?

Ricardo,
I wonder whether it would be possible to cut a Live DVD image from the GISVM virtual machine image?

If so, this could be an effective way to share the maintenance of the LiveDVD and GISVM, and share communities.

Is this possible, and what would be involved to make this happen?

-- Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect