[Live-demo] FOSS4G 2008 software list

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 20:44:42 PDT 2009

Tyler wrote:
> I was recently reminded me of this list of software (below) which may
> be interesting for anyone hoping to do live demo disk work or
> interested in supporting FOSS4G workshops somehow.
>
> A FOSS4G workshop committee will take on the challenge in one way or
> another, but this is a good example of the sorts of configurations
> we've used in the past on workshop computers.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2008_PC_Software#GIS_Software

fyi, the package lists for autobuild live-helper images[1] can be found
here:
 http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/live-helper/trunk/config/chroot_local-packageslists
 http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-grass/packages/debian-gis/packages/

(the DebianGIS project maintains one too. While the developers/effort
is often overlapped, the goals are ever so slightly different)

I am happy to collect helpers for both those efforts, but can apply
patches if anyone has a one-off request.

To me, one big missing piece is an official QGIS package in Debian, which
will then filter through into these live discs, Ubuntu, etc. with minimal
effort.  http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1028
AFAICT the DebianGIS team needs a champion of the effort from the QGIS
dev team.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#How_to_contribute.3F
 see proposal / mid-term goals - a script based system will be much more
 maintainable long-term rather than recutting a unique disc every time
 there is another conference.

regards,
Hamish