[Live-demo] Re: [Fwd: Re: The Easy steps to get your project on the FOSS4G Live DVD]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:56:54 PDT 2009

Hi Judit,
Great to have you on board.
I've CCed your email to the demo list so that we can work on a response
in parallel.

Of note, I've started updating the Wiki build steps, in response to your
questions at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build#How_to_add_your_project_or_data_to_GISVM_.2F_Arramagong

Judit Mays wrote:

> [...]
> Only copying files to the file system and some configuration inside the
> tomcat and the webapps.
>
> Are there no other projects along this line of approach?
> Do I really need to provide a script? Doing what exactly?
>
> Kind regards,
> Judit
>
> - --
> Judit Mays
> l a t / l o n  GmbH
> Aennchenstrasse 19               53177 Bonn, Germany
> phone ++49 +228 18496-0          fax ++49 +228 18496-29
> http://www.lat-lon.de            http://www.deegree.org
>

> Dr. Christian Kiehle schrieb:
>
>> fyi
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Betreff: 	Re: The Easy steps to get your project on the FOSS4G Live DVD
>> Datum: 	Sun, 30 Aug 2009 07:41:46 +1000
>> Von: 	Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
>> An: 	Dr. Christian Kiehle <kiehle at lat-lon.de>, Jens Fitzke
>> <fitzke at lat-lon.de>
>> CC: 	Stefan Hansen <Stefan.Hansen at lisasoft.com>, Ricardo Pinho
>> <rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br>
>> Referenzen: 	<4A991B25.1010508 at gmail.com>
>>

>> Christian, Jens,
>>
>> It would be great to see Deegree included on the FOSS4G Live DVD this
>> year. Do you think this would be possible?
>>
>> What we need is a script which installs and configures Deegree onto an
>> Xubuntu system which we can use, then for you to test afterwards. Of
>> note, we have a tight deadline to meet testing and printing deadlines,
>> and will need to script written this coming week.
>>
>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_28
>>>
>>> To Geospatial Open Source Project Leaders:
>>>
>>> The Arramagong Live DVD <http://arramagong.com>, GISVM
>>> <http://gisvm.com>, and OSGeo Live-Demo
>>> <http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc> projects are collaborating
>>> to create a set of simple, automated install scripts for a wide
>>> variety of Free and Open Source GIS projects, and we're calling on
>>> each project to help us write a script for their software. Projects
>>> that can write their install script this week will be included on The
>>> Arramamgong Live DVD which will be given to all delegates at the
>>> FOSS4G <http://2009.foss4g.org> conference.
>>>
>>> The scripts should cover the installation and configuration of each
>>> project into a base Xubuntu <http://www.xubuntu.org/> 9.04 system.
>>> Separate scripts can optionally cover data, demos and tutorials. As a
>>> bonus, these scripts are exactly what packagers require to bundle your
>>> project into Debian and Ubuntu, so you will be taking the first steps
>>> toward getting your project into a Linux distribution.
>>>
>>> The base version of the FOSS4G2009 GISVM/Arramagong Live DVD can be
>>> trialed in a VMWare virtual machine and downloaded from:
>>> http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/Arramagong_GISVM_FOSS4G2009_alpha1.7z
>>>

>>>    Timeline
>>>
>>> Date     Date     Milestone
>>> 7 Sep 2009     in 1 week     LiveDVD Feature Freeze
>>> 11 Sep 2009     in 2 weeks     LiveDVD Beta Release
>>> 18 Sep 2009     in 3 weeks     LiveDVD Final Freeze
>>> 20 Sep 2009     in 3 weeks     LiveDVD Final Release & sent to printers
>>>

>>>    Packaging Howto
>>>
>>> For projects already packaged for Ubuntu <http://packages.ubuntu.com/>
>>> or DebianGIS <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis>, an install script
>>> will likely be as simple as:
>>>
>>> install_mapserver.sh
>>> <https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_mapserver.sh>
>>>

>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> apt-get install cgi-mapserver
>>>

>>> Projects that haven't been packaged yet are slightly more complicated:
>>>
>>> install_udig.sh
>>> <https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_udig.sh>
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> #################################################
>>> # # Purpose: Installation of udig into Xubuntu
>>> # Author:  Stefan Hansen <shansen at lisasoft.com>
>>> #
>>> #################################################
>>> # Copyright (c) 2009 Open Geospatial Foundation
>>> # Copyright (c) 2009 LISAsoft
>>> #
>>> # Licensed under the GNU LGPL.
>>> # # This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>>> modify it
>>> # under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published
>>> # by the Free Software Foundation, either version 2.1 of the License,
>>> # or any later version.  This library is distributed in the hope that
>>> # it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, without even the implied
>>> # warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>>> # See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details, either
>>> # in the "LICENSE.LGPL.txt" file distributed with this software or at
>>> # web page "http://www.fsf.org/licenses/lgpl.html".
>>> #
>>>
>>> # About:
>>> # =====
>>> # This script will install udig into Xubuntu
>>> # Running:
>>> # =======
>>> # sudo ./install_udig.sh
>>> TMP="/tmp/udig_downloads"