[Live-demo] Next Version - Spring 2010

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Mon Dec 7 12:31:05 PST 2009

Alex,
Thanks for pushing this along.

I'm +1 for a March release. (Note, for us in the South, that would be
Autumn, so I suggest using month names instead of seasons to pick a date).

A few random thoughts:
* One of the first things we should do is get a schedule in place, and
allocate a lot of time for the release and testing cycle. It took us a
lot of time to clean up last minute bugs in the last release.

* Lets see if we can improve our tools. In particular, I'd love it if we
could get click2try to provide us with a development environment.

* I think we need to consolidate our web pages and brand them
consistently. We have web pages under "livedvd, gisvm, arramagong, ..."
I think that our project name and mission should not be tied to the
distribution medium, because we can be much more than that. What we have
is a "build process for OSGeo software  (and documentation)". Currently
the build process is tied to Ubuntu, but in the future we will likely
have spin offs to other platforms. Eg, we might put out a documentation
or tutorial release which is available on windows.

* I'm hopeful that at least one of the projects we have packaged in the
liveDVD can be moved into DebianGIS/UbuntuGIS projects. So that the
LiveDVD project can be used as a stepping stone toward getting a project
into Ubuntu. Ideally, we will document and automate this process as we
go. While the arramagong project has been good for attracting uses, we
would attract significantly more users if trying osgeo software was as
easy as "apt-get install arramagong".