[Live-demo] OSGEO Live GIS , ideas to share - Poseidon

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Dec 16 10:08:19 PST 2009

Christian,
Yes, you are right, big projects do have a lot of inertia required to get
them moving, and we faced and conquered it with our GeoSpatial LiveDVD
project, having built 3 distributions in 2 years, although the last
distribution we built is our highlight, because we moved from just 3 or 4
people involved in packaging to ~ 20 people who collectively built a
distribution in 6 weeks.

I believe we were successful because:
* We reduced the barrier of entry and offered high value for projects
wanting to join. "Write a simple install script, and we will guarantee your
application will be distributed on a DVD handed out at our international
conference to all delegates".
* The people we were targeting to do the packaging for us were all highly
motived and competent people, who already were leaders of Open Source
projects.

Geospatial Systems Architect