[Live-demo] Next Version - New Name ?!

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Sat Dec 19 16:32:01 PST 2009

Welcome back everyone!

Sorry about my delay in response to your call.

Lately I’ve been investing all my free time on the OSGeo Portuguese local chapter, trying to get the “FOSS4G on Education” idea alive.
And of course, I am getting a lot of Portuguese Teachers and Universities interested on migrating to FOSS4G (eventually through GISVM…)

Participating at FOSS4G 2009, including this community building of LiveDVD 2009, was a great experience for me. I’ve learn a lot, from success and errors!

And I am very proud that GISVM idea has contributed for people on the Free GIS industry to recognize the potential of Virtualization on the GIS user interest.
I seriously believe that GISVM has been, since it’s public release (Set.2008), a good contribution for all those great FOSS4G projects, to get even more users using them!

At Sidney I could testify the using of VM’s during Workshops, Tutorial sessions, etc.
Even FOSS4G companies are now taking that very seriously, like:
- Lisasoft (http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/products/arramagong.html)
- OpenGeo (http://opengeo.org/products/suite/download/#livedisk)

Judit Mays wrote at 8/12:
> Praise to the main involved parties (Lisasoft as company, as well as
> several individuals like RicardoPinho) should of course be clearly
> published in an appropriate manner.. Intro-page, about-page,
> documentation-start-page, history-page, ...
> After all, Cameron gave a calculation of man-hours (or rather weeks and
> months) involved in the production of the 2009-conference-DVD, in an
> email somewhere (forgot where exactly). This needs to be recognised and
> appreciated (and it is, I should add).

Well, OSGeo (Cameron) has been very generous to invite the participation of GISVM on building the Live-Demo. I see it as an agreement on both sides interest, since GISVM got even more popular than it was before and, in some way, GISVM helped to solve FOSS4G 2009 a problem, the delay on building a Live DVD on time for the conference. At the end, Arramagong LiveDVD and it’s parallel products: VM and Click2try where a success (I think!) and all the FOSS4G industry got the benefit of it.

The problem remains on the “FOSS4G Business Models”, when we talk about man-hours, we must talk about money (work time is money!)
The reply that I received from OSGeo concerning financial supporting GISVM project resumes to “blessing the project”, so all the time and (lots of) money I’ve personally spent on building GISVM are, and will be, on my personal behalf…
But I am not complaining, since I made the investment decision alone. I am just getting my point of view here…

So, I appreciate OSGeo blessing, but I must state here in public, that GISVM is still an independent project. And I am working hard to get a sustainable business model for GISVM (that will recognize the cost of man-hour work spent on it)

And to avoid wrong interpretations of GISVM name involvement on the Arramagong LiveDVD building, like: (http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/products/arramagong.html)

“LISAsoft has played a lead role in coordinating the packaging of projects for the Arramagong Live DVD and GISVM, and provides commercial support both for the packaging process and also for many of the packaged applications.”

The truth is, LISAsoft or OSGeo haven’t been involved at all, on coordinating or building of GISVM! In fact, besides me, there has been only one personal contribution on GISVM, from "Jorge de Jesus".

So, I really think it would be wise to remove the GISVM name use on future OSGeo Live-Demo products, to avoid confusion and keep me free to use my GISVM name/brand without hurting anyone feelings.

> One personal note at the end: I have experienced that due to
> language/culture differences, people sometimes find my saying offensive.

I must agree.. It’s very difficult for us, non English, to understand and express ourselves in English without getting it wrong.

I am truly very interested on the success of this Live-Demo project.
And I will keep collaborating on it as far as I can!
I just want to get it clear that GISVM is an independent project and will follow it’s own path!

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho