[Live-demo] Installing Arramagong as the main OS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Nov 22 13:15:01 PST 2009

vega_l at yahoo.com wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> I've been using GRASS in Arramagong for a while, and I think it is an excellent piece of software to use open source GIS tools.
>
> My question is simple. I'm related to the Ubuntu system and its installation process, and I would like to install Arramagong as the system by default into my secondary PC.
>
> Choosing "System/Install Xubuntu GNU Linux" will install the system into a disk partition?
> Can I use the Live CD to install it? If I do it, the GIS tools I'm using from the virtual machine version will be installed along with Xubuntu?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Luis Alberto Vega.

Theoretically, the answer is yes. However we did not have time to test
the install option on the disc thouroughly, and the few attempts made by
some were not successful (has anyone done it successfully?). There are
at least 2 other options though,

1. Download the Virtual Machine version and run it in any other the
freely available virtual machine tools (Virtual Box, Vmware Player,
Vmware Server, Parallels, etc) - depending on your primary operating
system this solution may vary slightly. The advantage here is no need to
reboot your computer to use it, the disadvantage - it's a little
trickier to setup shared drives, and you need a decent computer with
plenty of ram.

2. Install any of the Ubuntu 9.04 line-up(Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu) and
run the scripts that we used to build the live disc to repeat the
installation. Or do the installation of just the tools you want. GRASS
is actually pretty easy to install from online repositories.

Thanks for you interest,